My birthday usually comes in the first quarter of the year. In the tribute of my 2018, I listed some goals that I wanted to achieve this year, mentioning my failures and lessons of last year. When we fail, we never really give up or hate the process. We may take a break, or sometimes change the way we do things to ipmrove or adjust some parts. Last year, on my birthday, i listed twenty four things that i have learnt which have impacted my 24 years that i had lived. In one extra year, i have seen and achieved too much more. AlhamduliLlah. I do have insecurities, that i take as challenges and pledge to accept them. That way, my goals are not usually annual. I set goals anytime. There are those that do not need a whole year and by setting short deadlines the brain is active towards achieving.
My main goals were religion, family, growth and wellness.
I have tremendously failed in wellness, the physical health part. I was so good in January and February i didn’t know the consequences of cheating are worse than just quitting. Now i havent quit but i cannot get back on track. Few things i learnt from Mandi Sarro about fitness are;
- Track your food, i.e how much you need to be eating, to hit the goals.
- Weigh your food.
- show up for the gym session (if you go to the gym)
I like this coz here, I say even if you are sick, showing up gives you the energy to stretch. If you do it at home, and have a specific outfit for your routine. DO NOT FAIL TO WEAR IT. Even if you dont feel like it, you will be motovated.
I have lived a quarter a century, AlhamduliLlah. In this 25th year I’ve seen so much and I’d love to share with you what stood out among the achievements and goals. In details. Expanding the goals I made in the beginning of the year.
- Si I said I’ll be fasting every Monday and Thursday, well, here is the fasting planner that has been guiding me through out. I got it from Twitter, thanks to whoever made it I hope it will help y’all.
2. There is a Quran reading routine that y’all can use. Since y’all are on your phones and my reading lovers are loyal. Download the Quran App and become loyal too. The way you plan to read fiction books, make more time for Quran too and keep the consistency.
3. For the first time after a million years I celebrated my birthday with my family. I’m glad I saw everyone happy at my presence even if it was for a moment. I said I’d make time to share with the relatives as much as I could.
4. I nowadays go out as I used to before, last year I really locked myself in the stomach. This year, I’ve gone to a phototrip, a photo walk etc I realised it helps me grow.
5. Started a skipping rope routine, since I cannot keep up with gym lol.
6. I’ve gone to two author signings this year and I’m really into it! I’d like to do more. I think it’s such a fun and cool thing to do, and is a great way to get even more into 1) the book you’re reading and 2) the reading community in general. Plus, now I have autographed copies of books! I feel so special and unique! (Along with the 20 other people who were there! Haha!)
7. I got myself a new pure golden nosering as a birthday gift for myself.
8. I have been reading a book at least every month. So far, i have read more than four books.
8. I change my phone password every month. It makes the first day of the month exciting and always remind me what im doing that month i.e the book im reading or the workout routine im in.
9. I’m completely obsessed with my smartwatch. I’ve always had trouble keeping the habit of wearing a watch consistently, but ever since I got the smart watch last December, I’ve worn it every day! I love feeling motivated to count my Movement, exercise minutes, and standing hours, being able to change the bands, tracking my heart rate, and so much more. I really feel like it has made me more conscious about standing more, walking more, and also–using a watch to actual tell the time! It’s great. I highly recommend it.
10. Ive started taking my birthdays as a personal day, it’s such a nice way to treat yourself. Whether you spend the day reading or catching up on Netflix at home, or use it to treat yourself to brunch and a manicure (my preferred plan!), it’s a much nicer way to spend the day than at the office, agreed? I got a massage, checking out a new coffee place, treating myself to a new phone case, and then going out for lunch with Ruth. Cant wait!
11. The past year I’ve gotten SUPER into podcasts, and honestly it’s totally changed my life– is that cheesy to say? Maybe–but it’s true! I listen to them while working out, while eating, while at work, while cleaning and pretty much all the time. Tasks that I used to dread I look forward to because it means I can listen to more podcasts! My favorites right now are how i built this by guy raze and the weekly startups.
12. I started watching series. Lol. Yes. Yes. I know, i know, i can explan. I had never watched a series to completion neither was I a movie person. Clap for netflix guys i just finished grownish lol. Im also watching local series that is shown on local to tv, thanks to showmax coz im never a tv person. Currently watching mtv shuga and
maza. Im so much into Maza, its just too good especially now that i know the people out of tv, it feels good. (so twisty and suspenseful, you can’t stop watching).
13. I did my first ever full facebeat this year by a friend called Dida. She is a makeup artist and a fashion designer. I loved it and had to go for a second one on my birthday. Check my instagrIn for more. You’ll love it too.
14. I started programming classes. Hahaha. Its becoming too much but heyyy….let a girl.floss. I’m becoming a techie. Ive learned web development and web designing and I’m currently redesigning swahilipot hub website. I cant wait for the final results.
14. I’m in three different community jobs and i love it. AlhamduliLlah i love the way i spend my time serving the community.
15. I started playing phone games. Hehe. You guys never believed me when i said my life was boring all along. This is the only year I’m finding fun in my life. Ive never had a game in my phone and its all been weird.
16. I’ve taken more chocolates that salad. I confess.
17. Since the year began, ive been rewarding myself a gift every Friday, as a self love remedy.
18. The whole of last year, i was co-hosting a group of writers for masterclass meetups for every month. This really helped me network and grow my creativity. It helped writers in Mombasa to meet and know each other as well as get to work together.
19. Do you know that I’m always a shy girl? I mceed for the first time in a crowd of about 100 -200 people. Looks like a small thing but it was such an achievement.
20. I got featured in several shows of BBC’s new program BBC mitikasi leo as an analyst. You can find the features in their youtube
21. I started drinking ginger ft lemon tea every morning. Just for the love of tea.
22. I stopped overthinking about everyone and everything that doesn’t seem to work, I’ve learnt to let go and filter anger. Though it usually shows on my face but i nevwr eeact.
23. Ive made better financial decision, I’ve learnt how to prioritise needs and saving up for bigger investments.
24. I made a vision board/manifesto, keeping track of it, filling weekly planner, now doing my first quarterly check in and I’m totally having fun.
25. For the first time ever, i got a full package of morrocan hammam bath as my birthday treat. I will post the experience in my next blog. Remember to check it out.